Your monthly pick of biobanking buzz from the OpenSpecimen team. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any news, journal articles, tips or job openings you would like to share.
Fresh of the Press:
- Autonomous drones are now delivering biospecimens in North Carolina, Ghana, and Switzerland.
- The Humanwide pilot project by Stanford Medicine improved patient diagnosis and disease prevention by combining data on social and environmental factors, genetic and pharmacogenomic testing, and data from mobile monitoring devices such as glucometers and blood pressure cuffs.
- Cornell Veterinary Biobank is the first biobank in the world to receive accreditation based on the new ISO 20387 standard from the American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA).
- Researchers can improve the quality and quantity of circulating free DNA (cfDNA) by standardizing and documenting donor age and health status and by standardizing biospecimen handling protocols.
Biobank Job Alerts:
- Senior Manager, Biosample Operations – Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc., Brisbane, California, USA
- Clinical Research Coordinator – University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Research Technician – Department of Pathology, University of Arizona, USA
- Assistant Professor, Cancer Epidemiology and Outcomes Research – Geisinger Medical Center Hospital, Danville, Pennsylvania, USA
- Bone Pathology Network and Biobank Manager – Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
- Mechanical Engineer – Brooks Automation, Manchester, United Kingdom
- Director, Biobanking NSW Health – NSW Health Pathology, Sydney, Australia
V6.1 release: OpenSpecimen v6.1 is released! Check out what is new in this release in this announcement.
New Clients: We welcome the University of Miami Medical Center, Telethon Kids (Perth) and Columbia University Medical Center to the OpenSpecimen community.
Feature Highlights and Case Studies:
- New Project Tracker module lets researchers and biobanks track entire projects
- UC Davis Adopts OpenSpecimen to Manage Large Biospecimen Projects
- A discussion on the Classification of Biobanks