The establishment of a COVID-19 biorepository of specimens from the maternal-neonatal dyad is a critical first step to answering questions about the impact of COVID-19 infection on the pregnant patient and the developing fetus. The key questions include, among others:
- How does pregnancy impact the immune response to COVID-19?
- What are the mechanisms underlying severe maternal morbidity?
- Does the vertical transmission of the virus occur? If so, how?
- Is breastfeeding safe and does it provide protection for the neonate?
- What is the impact of the maternal immune response to COVID-19 on the developing fetus?
Samples collected on maternal and newborn participants
Establishing a COVID-19 perinatal biorepository required patient advocacy, transdisciplinary collaboration, and creative solutions to unique challenges. This biorepository is unique in its comprehensive sample collection and the inclusion of a control population. It serves as an important resource for research into the impact of COVID-19 on pregnant women and newborns and provides lessons for future biorepository efforts.
Click here to read more.